Has anyone else ever pondered about the fact that there’s not much “Christmas” in the carol Jingle Bells? In fact, look at the lyrics, words like Christmas, Santa Claus or anything else holiday related appear in the song at all! Basically, Jingle Bells is all about sleigh riding. More specifically, it was written and copyrighted in 1859 about sleigh racing! And, the bells were “jingled” when a racer was crossing the path of another competitor.
Nevertheless, dashing is what you, family and friends will be experiencing with the icy thrill of tobogganing at Mill Run Reservation, 16200 Valley Parkway. Chutes are located between routes 42 and 82 in Strongsville. During winter months Mill Run is overrun with thrill-seekers wanting to experience the speed of racing down the slick chutes. Typically, the runs open at Thanksgiving and remain so until around Easter.
No snow is required! The two 700-foot refrigerated ice chutes operate with or without snow, weather-conditions permitting.
While reservations are required, your 1-hour reservation time is your time to check in at the ticket booth to pick up your pre-purchased tag. Upon receipt of your toboggan pass, riders may toboggan as long as they wish until the close of the day. Understand that passes do not guarantee there will be no line/wait time.
Riders must be at least 42” tall – no exceptions. Those of questionable height will be measured at the ticket booth. Another requirement is gloves or mittens that fully cover fingertips for rider safety.
For hours of operation, weather reports and reservations, click here to be connected to the Cleveland MetroPark’s Mill Run information and reservation site.
The Chalet Concession stand at the Mill Run will NOT be open this season, however there are over 40 family-friendly eateries within minutes of the Strongsville toboggan runs.
Some casual family-friendly eateries nearby include:
- The Brew Kettle on Pearl Rd. in Strongsville is known for its craft beers and BBQ and offers a special experience brewing your own beer!
- Condado Tacos is right on Royalton Rd. (Route 82) and offers unlimited options to build your own tacos or nachos.
- Jennifer’s Restaurant is a local favorite with a menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with plenty of options to fit everyone’s preference.
- The Rail is known for their endless combinations of burgers and milkshakes as well as their tasty brunch menu offered on the weekend.
- Shinto’s Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar has hibachi and regular dining options. They also offer happy hour deals on drinks and sushi rolls.
- Trivs is a happening spot that not only provides a delicious menu but also live entertainment Wednesday-Saturday.
Learn more about fun holiday opportunities this seasons in some of our latest blogs: here.